Chicago Student Newsletter
We had another excellent Class Preview on April 25th for our May Day and Night classes, thank you to everyone who participated! We can’t wait for those students to start their classes in the first week of May.
Our admissions team Paige Tobin and Tinka Randle are very excited that our inaugural Sports Broadcasting Emphasis program is now officially underway as of mid-April. We look forward to seeing the work those students are doing with the South Bend Cubs throughout the season.
Our High School Outreach Coordinator Jamie Delano is very excited to announce that we have started two high school media clubs, at Kelly High School and Tilden High School. We look forward to welcoming quite a few 2016 high school graduates to our campus this summer.
July Nights 2015 students completed the core program and will participate in the May 6 graduation ceremony at the University Center. August Days 2015 will finish on April 29th. August Nights will finish on August 28th. August Nights will graduate 100% of the students who began the program!
Filmmaker, Salvatore Consalvi spoke to IMS Chicago students about the process of creating documentaries. CBS2 Social Media Editor, Wendy Widom spoke to our students about the role of social media in a broadcast environment and how students can work now to develop a social media following. In April, Chicago Urban League President, Shari Runner came to IMS Chicago to address social issues on the 48th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther, King Junior. Sandra Torres a former ICB instructor and current reporter with CBS2 Chicago spoke to students about utilizing all the resources IMS has to offer and two guests speakers are now instructors with IMS: Total Traffic producer, Drewsean Williams who also has worked for iHeart Media and Radio One joined the staff. Former NFL, AFL, and Big Ten player and current Pac 12 studio host and color commentator Anthony Herron joined the new Sports Broadcasting Emphasis instructor team.
The Sports Broadcasting Emphasis program started on April 11th. Students will be studying various facets of ports broadcasting and production. They will have the opportunity to get experience working with the Chicago Cubs minor league affiliate South Bend Cubs throughout the program.
: On April 7th, the Career Services Department in Chicago hosted a Career Fair. Over 50 grads attended the event that featured traditional and non-traditional media companies, including Live Nation, CBS Radio, Region Radio Sports Network, Alpha Media, and many more. The companies were extremely impressed with our grads, and some companies did on the spot interviews. A number of grads were hired as a result of the event. If you would like a complete list of companies that attended the Career Fair, email Don Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, Don is available to help you with any questions you may have, directions on your career search, and with contacts to broadcast companies and media groups in and around the Chicago area. Call him anytime at 331-215-4733.
- Lasalle Campus will open an Audio Production Studio, see Admissions for details. The Audio Production Program will launch in November 2016
- Core Value Program for Students
In order to raise awareness of the School’s core values, we rolled out a program that will exemplify students who go above and beyond with acts of the following
- Passion-positive emotion that drives successful actions
- Customer Centric-What’s in it for the other person?
- Creativity-Think outside the box?
- Winning-Winning is not a sometime thing, it’s an all-time thing
- Reason-Getting to the real “Why”
- Integrity-Doing the right thing all the time
Students were presented their award in front of their peers by the Education Director, Wendell Ray. Students pictured: Vonesha Packer (Reason), Lenora Segura (Integrity), Tanisha Craig (Creativity), Brandie Bass (Winning), Aaron Williams (Customer Centric), and Jacob Kenyon (Passion)-NOT PICTURED.
- Open Mic Nights: Contact Dion Walker at email@example.com for upcoming events.
- Wendy Widom: CBS 2 Social Media Editor 3/23/16 visits the campus to talk about the increasing job market for social media.
- Camera Workshop on 4/2/16 hosted by Eva Green
- IMS will host a Blood Drive with Heartland Blood Center on 5/25/16 from 11:30am-4:00pm (flyer attached)
- Shari Runner CEO & President of Chicago Urban League visited Chicago Campus 4/4/16
- Bob and Wendell Radio Show on www.windycityunderground.com 4/4/16
- IMS Career Fair was a success 4/7/16
- Sports Emphasis Program started on 4/11/16 in Chicago. Students signed up for the program get the opportunity for work with the South Bend Cubs!
- Jeff Dickerson visited the Chicago Campus to kick off the NFL Draft on 4/21/16
- South Bend Cubs Games started Broadcasting on CSR 4/22/16-4/24/16
- • Sandra Torres from CBS 2 visits the Chicago Campus to talk about her broadcasting experience on 4/25/16