10 Tips to Help Your Personal Brand Stand Out Over The Holidays
In today’s digital world, building an attention-grabbing brand has become a necessity for individuals and businesses alike. During the holiday season, there are many opportunities to define your brand – and we’re going to show you how. In this guide, we’ll be covering:
- How to develop a personal brand that’s authentic and unique
- Suggestions for promoting your business and brand during the holidays
- Tips for strengthening your branding efforts
There’s no doubt that the holidays are one of the busiest times of the year. But did you know that it’s also the perfect time to invest some serious strategic effort into your personal brand building?
You might not think of yourself as someone who has a “brand,” but branding isn’t something reserved only for mega-sized businesses. Instead, think of your brand as an identity of sorts, specifically the one that represents you in a professional capacity. Your personal brand is an embodiment of who you are, what you do, and why people should be paying attention. It sets you apart in an often-overcrowded industry of online influencers and digital creators.
We’re going to walk you through some simple steps for distinguishing and improving your brand, including some smart strategies to implement for the upcoming holidays.
How Do I Make My Personal Brand Stand Out?
Brand differentiation is the process of making your brand one that clearly stands apart from other brands. It’s how you make sure that your brand is seen as someone special, different, and ideally, better than your competitors. If you don’t differentiate your brand, you can easily fade into the background of the “white noise” within your industry.
Here’s how to build a brand that will make people take notice:
- Know what makes your brand unique. This might sound overly obvious, but you’ll need to figure out what makes your brand different from the very beginning of your business journey. If you don’t know what sets you apart, how can you expect other people to?
- Pinpoint your target audience. Who are the people that you want to connect with your brand? Are you aiming to reach millennials who use TikTok as a source of entertainment? Or, are you hoping to build relationships with mothers in search of parenting information? Decide what your specific demographic is so that you can approach them accordingly.
- Learn about your competitors. Once you can figure out who your competitors are and how they’re branding themselves, it becomes easier to know how your brand is different. Check out what they’re doing right and what you think they could do better, and use that to inform your process.
How Can I Promote My Business During the Holidays?
Now, let’s talk about holiday marketing and branding. There are various ways, both online and in-person, that you can promote your personal brand during this time of year – and here are 10 of our favorites to help you get started.
- Host a holiday giveaway and give it a creative hashtag. Giveaways are a great option for expanding your audience base because they get people talking about your brand. Paired with a memorable branded hashtag, a giveaway is a solid strategy for the holidays.
- Give gifts that incorporate your branding. Many businesses participate in gift-giving during the holidays. For example, a freelance social media marketer might send local businesses sugar cookies packaged in a branded tin for a deliciously effective marketing tactic.
- Give back to the community. Partner with a charitable organization, and you’ll be able to do good and highlight your brand as one that truly cares.
- Make it personal. Even though it’s easy to create some quick holiday content using stock images and generic tropes, infusing your branding efforts with your brand personality is a far better choice.
- Don’t be afraid to turn to humor. The holidays can get hectic, and sometimes, people just want to enjoy a good laugh. Think of ways that you can combine humor with holiday content (maybe a silly video about the chaos of holiday shopping?), and be sure to connect it back to your brand.
- Connect with other creators. Partnering with influencers in your niche can help you make a bigger marketing impact and reach a wider audience. Reach out to creators that are relevant to your target audience but aren’t necessarily your direct competitors.
- Participate in holiday trends. Trending hashtags, TikTok challenges, and even current events can be an avenue for gaining new followers and customers for your brand – so get involved!
- Consider using video. People don’t have a ton of time to waste during the holidays, so they’re more likely to consume easily accessible content, such as videos (versus reading a long post).
- Stick with what you’re good at. You probably have some marketing methods that you know work for your brand. Even though the holidays can be a good time to get creative, you don’t want to forget about what you already know will succeed.
- Network at holiday events. Most of us end up attending a handful of parties and get-togethers during the holidays, and it can be a great time to network with people from all industries. You never know when you might make a professional connection that helps you grow your business.
How Can I Improve My Personal Brand?
Now you have an idea of what to do, but exactly how do you do it? Being able to have a “toolkit” of practical strategies to pull from makes all the difference, especially when you’re trying to strengthen your brand.
Here are a few quick tips for improving your brand:
- Put a variety of mediums to use. Your branding efforts shouldn’t be limited to the text on your website. Learn new ways to create digital content using mediums such as video or podcasting. If you know next to nothing about creating videos, a video production program is a perfect place to learn.
- Build a better understanding of the digital world and how your brand fits into it. Even if you use social media for personal use, building a brand on social media platforms is something completely different. Learn how to create social media content that will engage online users and achieve your specific goals, so you can set up a solid digital footprint. In a digital media production course, you can study the strategies you’ll need to plan, launch, and evaluate these initiatives online.
- Do a deep dive into marketing. There’s a reason that marketing is a full-time job – it requires a certain amount of knowledge, skill, and talent to master. Plus, marketing is constantly evolving, and keeping up is key. Consider enrolling in a media sales and marketing program to get a well-rounded education that will benefit you and your brand.
Make the Most of Your Brand and Business with an Education in Media
Whether you’re an entrepreneur in the making, a budding online influencer, or someone that sees yourself with a future in creative marketing, a media-centric education can be an invaluable tool for building your career.
The BeonAir Network of Media Schools in Miami, Chicago, Colorado, and Ohio, offers a broad range of programs and courses that are designed to unlock your professional potential as a media professional.
Learn how media can be the key to crafting a personal brand – and a long-term career – that sets you apart. Contact our team for more information about our courses, or apply to be a student at one of our campuses today!
Image Source: DisobeyArt / Shutterstock