Ask just about anyone about their favorite podcasts, and they’re likely to name at least a handful of different programs, with topics ranging from anything to pop culture and reality television to current events and culture. Many podcast listeners have wondered, “How do I become a podcaster?”, finding themselves curious about whether they could make a career out of talking about their favorite hobbies and interests. The good news is that podcast creation is a fairly simple process – however, making money podcasting is a little more complicated.
According to Podcast Insights, there are upwards of 700,000 podcasts as of April 2019, with more than 60 million U.S. households considering themselves serious podcast listeners. Figuring out how to set your brand-new podcast apart from the crowd and determine how to monetize podcasting is no small challenge, but it certainly isn’t impossible.
How can I monetize my podcast?
Turning a podcast into a profitable career can be achieved in a variety of ways, and most successful podcasters earn money through a mix of various methods. If you’re interested in how to make money by starting a podcast, you’ll need to take a strategic approach.
Here are 6 easy ideas for making money from a podcast:
- Find sponsors that match your target audience, providing on-air advertising placements for products and services that are a good fit for your brand.
- Incorporate affiliate marketing into your podcast. By providing listeners with an affiliate link or code, you can generate a steady income with little to no effort.
- Create products or services that you can sell through your podcasts, such as merchandise, consultation services, and more.
- Use platforms like Patreon to generate income on a per-month or per-episode basis, inviting devoted fans to purchase access to special episodes and content.
- Offer online courses that focus on content similar to what you discuss on your podcast – this can be a particularly good option for business and education-based podcasts.
- Hold live events for your podcast audience, charging per ticket for an “in person” podcast experience.
How do I start a podcast and get paid?
Starting a podcast is fairly simple, but it may take some time before you’re getting paid for your efforts. Ultimately, your focus should be on creating interesting, relevant content, which will help you build an audience and work towards monetization.
How much does the average podcast make?
It’s difficult to put a specific number on the average income you can expect from podcasting, simply because profits can take so many different forms. For example, your podcast profits might stem primarily from host-read advertising and sponsorships, or you might decide to focus on options like affiliate marketing or merchandise. Ultimately, in today’s digital age, there’s no limit to the potential earnings you might be able to make as a successful podcaster – it’s all up to you.
Start Your Career as a Professional Podcaster at the Schools of the Be On Air Network in Colorado, Ohio, Illinois and Miami
If you’re interested in transforming your passion for podcast creation into a full-blown career, a high-quality education can be the key to your professional success. The schools of the Be On Air Network in Colorado, Ohio, Illinois, and Miami will prepare you to succeed in a highly competitive industry, giving you the tools and knowledge you need to make money podcasting. Here, you’ll work closely with passionate, educators, gaining hands-on experience in the classroom and through industry-focused assignments.
For more information about our audio production program and how you can apply for enrollment, contact us today.