If you’re ready to learn how to create a TikTok video, our step-by-step guide will teach you:
- How TikTok works
- How to create videos on TikTok, including how to add effects on a TikTok video
- How to post a video to TikTok
Like most social media platforms, TikTok initially seemed like just another passing trend – but now, it’s become a launchpad for content creators, businesses, and even influencers. Beyond being a fun place to browse the latest trending challenges and viral videos, TikTok has become one of the biggest social media apps out there.
Maybe you’re hoping to use TikTok to build your brand, or perhaps you’re just looking for a new way to have fun online. Whatever your reason for creating a TikTok account, making your first TikTok video can feel a little bit intimidating – but it doesn’t have to be.
We’re breaking down how to make a new video on TikTok, so you can start shooting your first video now. In just a few minutes, you can be ready to post your own videos, and with any luck, you might just go viral.
How to Create Your First Successful TikTok Video
1. Learn your way around the TikTok app.
If you’re a brand-new TikTok user, we’re going to do a quick walkthrough of the app’s interface – so if you’re already acquainted with how TikTok works, you can skip to the next step.
After you download the app and create your account, you’ll arrive at the Home Page, which displays two feeds: “For You” and “Following”:
- On the For You page, you’ll be presented with a wide variety of videos that include content that is expected to go viral, has already achieved widespread popularity, or has just been posted. As you spend more time using the app, TikTok will learn your interests, and the For You page will deliver content to match.
- On the Following feed, you see content just from the TikTok users you are currently following. Depending on your interests, you can choose to follow a mix of influencers, brands, and businesses, so that you can regularly see their video content.
On the Discover page, you can explore the latest trending challenge videos. TikTok challenges have the potential to go viral, so this page can be a good place to find new ideas and gain momentum from a popular trend.
The + page is where you’ll be able to create TikTok videos and post them to your own account. We’re going to cover this page in detail in the next step.
Your Inbox contains all of your TikTok notifications, including messages, likes, and new followers.
On the Me page, you’ll see your profile. There, you can change your profile picture, add and delete videos, do video editing, and edit your profile description.
2. Record your first TikTok video and add effects.
Once you’re ready to make your first TikTok video, tap the + button located in the center of the bottom section of the screen. Then, you’ll select whether you want to record a 15-second or 60-second video. For your first attempt at a video, 15 seconds is the best place to begin.
There are a ton of features that you can use to record and edit videos within the app, all located just a few taps away:
- Flip: Use this to switch between the front camera and the selfie camera
- Speed: Adjust the speed of your video, with options ranging from slow-motion (0.3x and 0.5x) to high speed (2x and 3x)
- Beauty: This filter can be used to reduce the appearance of imperfections (like fine lines around your eyes) but can sometimes give video clips an unnatural look in certain lighting
- Filters: There are filters for just about anything you can think of, and playing around with them can be so much fun – but they aren’t necessarily a must
- Timer: With the timer, you can activate a countdown that gives you a few seconds (3 or 10) to set-up and start hands-free recording
Once you’ve finished shooting your video, you can start incorporating visual effects. This is your opportunity to exercise your creative muscles and produce unique, engaging content. Popular effects include Green Screen, Shake, and Clones, and you have the freedom to use the effect for all or just a portion of your video.
At the top of the screen, you can find the Sounds option. Using this feature, you can add an audio clip or a song to the video. The Sounds library is packed with tons of searchable sounds, including playlists and music recommended by TikTok. You can also record your own sound while you’re making the video. Simply tap and hold down the red record button (as you’re recording), and the audio will be included in the video.
If you want to add text, simply tap the text icon. Then, type your desired text, resize and move it, and change the typeface and color using the “edit” button.
3. Create and caption the post.
When you’re happy with your 15-second masterpiece, tap “Next.” This will take you to the screen where you can add a caption, hashtags, and cover photo.
Your TikTok video caption (the video description) is limited to 150-characters, which includes hashtags. This is your opportunity to tell TikTok who the ideal audience for your video is, so caption accordingly. TikTok will suggest niche hashtags for your video once you type in some keywords, which can be hugely helpful.
Finally, you’ll choose a cover image. Aim for one that will capture the attention of users so that they feel compelled to watch your video.
4. Post the video to TikTok and your other social media platforms.
Now, it’s time to post! On the Post screen, you can grab a direct link to easily upload your video to your other social platforms. Crossposting to Instagram Stories, Facebook, and Twitter is a great way to gain more followers and drive traffic to your account.
Now that you know how to post videos on TikTok, you’re well on your way to achieving online fame – or at the very least, having fun getting creative on this popular app.
Set Up Your Social Media Career with a Hands-On Education
Even if you’re new to TikTok, you probably already know that it’s just one of the many social platforms that could end up being your daily “office.” As social media marketing continues to dominate the industry, a growing number of people are finding new ways to create careers in the online world.
From TikTok and Instagram to YouTube and Twitter, content creators and influencers have essentially invented an entirely new career path. Beyond that, brands and businesses of all types and sizes are discovering the value of social media marketing – and they’re looking to hire people who can help them succeed on every social platform.
At the Beonair Network of Media Schools with campuses located in Chicago, Miami, Colorado, and Ohio, we offer a diverse range of programs that can teach you how to find your place in the thriving and competitive media industry. Here, you can learn practical skills while you hone your creativity and passion so that you’ll be ready to put your ideas into action. From marketing and video production to audio editing and hosting techniques, the possibilities for learning are virtually endless.
For more information about how you can turn your TikTok videos into a full-blown career, contact us to get details about our program offerings today!
Featured Image: Antonio Salaverry/Shutterstock