These days it seems as though many people are focusing on local or national news outlets without really thinking beyond their rhetoric to look at their biases. Perhaps, we should all think more broadly, and look to achieve a well-rounded worldview by exploring independent media outlets.
Here are a few independent media outlets you should get to know:
- Mint Press News: Mint Press News has been around for over four years now. Founded in 2012, they cover political, economic, foreign affairs and environmental issues. Their focus is civil liberties violations and looking at political elites. They relentlessly try to help their readers connect the dots to make sense of any story.
- The Free Thought Project: As its name implies, The Free Thought Project is an independent media outlet whose mission is to expose corrupt government policies. They are a hub for conversations about promoting liberty and keeping the government accountable.
- The Fifth Column: The Fifth Column is a news outlet founded to help bridge the gap between independent media and mainstream media. They focus heavily on investigative journalism and provide you with “insights that are not available on other news outlets.” They have a number of unique sections, such as a “Fem Column” (a feminist take on things), a “Counterpoint” section (full of satire), and the “Brush Pass” (which offers you fact sheets of raw, unanalyzed data).
- Revolution News: At RevNews, you’ll find out what’s going on outside the United States. They cover conflicts abroad, revolutions from all over the world, and have live feeds from a variety of locations so you get a full view of what’s really going on.
- The Anti-Media: One of the most popular and fastest growing news outlets in the world, the Anti-Media is not “against” the media. The “anti” in their name simply means they are opposed to the biases of the mainstream media. They provide a “bottom up” approach to journalism – meaning they allow independent journalists to have a wide scope on what they report. You’ll find journalists from all over the world reporting here.
- The Intercept: The Intercept promises to give you the truth. This site was launched after Edward Snowden’s release of the secret NSA documents. The outlet is owned by First Look Media, and while they are the most corporate of the independent media outlets, they are packed with exclusive data the government most likely doesn’t want you to know about.
- The Corbett Report: The Corbett Report is one of the most trusted news sources in the world. Corbett’s journalists research and report on the most-requested topics, and then all the information is analyzed by James Corbett himself. He then turns all the info into video news reports that viewers can really understand.
Do you love the news? Do you love exploring independent media? A broadcast school can turn your hobby into a career. A broadcast school, like one of our Media Schools, is the place to start. Contact us today to find out where your passions can take you. Visit https://beonair.com/ to learn more.