For brands and businesses, social media has opened up a whole new world of marketing – which means that social media marketing professionals have never been in higher demand. If you’re considering a career in social media, or even if you simply have an interest in working in marketing or media, it’s a niche that holds an impressive amount of potential.
But before you can dive into the industry, you’ll need to have a solid understanding of how social media marketing works, why it’s so beneficial for businesses, and what a savvy social media strategy might look like. We’re going to be covering all that and more (including how to get a job in social media) in this useful guide – so let’s get started!
What is a Social Media Strategy?
Essentially, a social media strategy is a thoughtfully-developed plan for social media marketing. Every brand/business creates its own unique strategy, based on its specific goals and needs. But generally, all social media strategies are designed to:
- Help increase brand awareness
- Promote engagement with current and potential customers
What are the Benefits of Using Social Media for Business?
There’s no doubt that social media has exploded in popularity, both for everyday people and businesses alike. But why is social media important for business?
If you’re active on social media, then it probably comes as no surprise to you that there are so many advantages for brands that have a smart strategy for their online presence, including:
- The ability to reach a large and diverse audience: When it comes to marketing, the more people you can reach, the better. Social media opens the door to a much wider audience than many other marketing methods, with consumers from all generations and walks of life.
- The ability to hone in on a very specific audience niche: Instead, it’s important for a brand to be able to dial in on a target audience that will be interested in what they have to offer. Social media advertising allows businesses to get very specific about who their ads will be presented to, so they can make the most of their efforts.
- It can be a less expensive option than traditional marketing. Social media can be a cost-effective marketing strategy in more ways than one. Regularly posting high-quality, engaging content can be extremely effective for driving traffic to a brand’s website, and it requires only a fraction of the investment that a paid campaign might.
- It’s a great way to connect with customers. Aside from outright advertising, social media also offers other marketing benefits. For example, a brand that is active on social media can really get to know its customers. As a result, they can better improve their products and services to meet customer needs and expectations. Also, social media can have a positive impact on a brand’s “personality,” creating a means for a business to develop its brand identity through authentic customer interactions.
Social Media Jobs: What Role Will You Have?
Depending on a brand’s specific strategy for social media, they may have one person or an entire team dedicated to their efforts. There are so many different jobs in social media marketing, which is one of the multitudes of reasons the field can offer such a bright professional future.
Here are just some social media marketing jobs that you can consider:
A content strategist might be in charge of planning, editing, and implementing content such as blog posts, photos and videos, captions, and social media posts, as well as supervising various content creators.
A content writer creates interesting and relevant copy for blogs, captions, tweets, press releases, articles, and more.
Digital marketing manager
A digital marketing manager oversees various digital marketing campaigns, including social media efforts.
A graphic designer creates images for a brand’s marketing materials, including social media posts and website content.
Social media analyst
A social media analyst keeps track of various strategies, using a variety of analytical tools to measure the success of a campaign and make improvements as needed.
Social media specialist
A social media specialist runs one or more social media platforms for a brand and can be responsible for tasks such as post planning, creating, analytics, and engagement.
How to Get a Job in Social Media
Social media marketing is growing at a rapid rate, and it won’t be slowing down anytime soon. A media-focused education, specifically one that provides you with key skills and experiences, can be the key to getting your dream social media job.
At the BeonAir Network of Media Schools, with campuses located in Miami, Chicago, Colorado, and Ohio, our Digital Media Production program offers a comprehensive foundation in various aspects of online media. You’ll learn about social media, video production, content creation, and so much more, preparing you to become an in-demand candidate for a diverse range of job opportunities.
For more information about how to get a social media job, contact us today!
Image Source: fizkes / Shutterstock