Whether you’re actively job-hunting right now or not, having a great resume up your sleeve is always a good idea. We’re looking at the latest in modern-day, media-savvy resumes and be talking about:
- TikTok’s Resumes feature – what it is and how it works
- How to use TikTok Resumes to set yourself apart as a job candidate
- How the right digital production program can prepare you for the future of job searches and beyond
Finding and applying for jobs often feels like a full-time career in and of itself, and it’s not one that’s usually very enjoyable. It takes a significant amount of time, effort, and energy to update your resume, write a cover letter, and then hope that you’ll at least receive some kind of reply. All too often, you can start to feel like you’re just sending your career hopes into the void – and it’s exhausting.
But now, TikTok is setting out to change that. From its inception, TikTok has proven to be a hub for innovation, creativity, and fun, where talented people can come together and share their best and brightest ideas. If you look at the social media platform from an employer’s perspective (especially one looking for forward-thinking individuals for careers in media), TikTok seems like the perfect place to search for job candidates.
In July of 2021, TikTok launched a pilot program designed to connect businesses and brands with people who bring something special to the table: TikTok Resumes.
What is TikTok’s Resumes Feature?
Sometimes, a single piece of paper just doesn’t cut it – it’s challenging to effectively showcase your skills, experiences, and even your personality in a traditional resume. Now, TikTok Resumes is giving the job application process a much-needed update in the form of video resumes.
Using short-form videos, candidates can take a more creative approach to show brands what they have to offer. It’s a unique medium that makes it possible to add an element of authenticity to the hiring process, benefitting both employers and job seekers. Ultimately, developers are aiming to make it easier for companies to discover talented candidates, and for job seekers to find career opportunities that align with their interests and skills.
Currently, the feature is still in its early stages. Nearly 40 companies, including national brands such as Target, Shopify, and Chipotle, participated in the initial launch. An initial phase of video resume submissions was accepted through the end of July 2021, and TikTok will soon be announcing upcoming submission periods, job positions, and company partnerships.
So, if you want to be one of the first to find your dream job with a TikTok video resume, now’s the time to get to work.
How to Make a TikTok Resume
If you want to be ready to jump on the opportunity to submit your video for the next round of the program, you should get started on your resume now.
Here’s a quick breakdown of how to create a resume video for TikTok, plus some useful tips for making sure yours captures the attention of potential employers:
- Set up a TikTok account. First, you need a public TikTok account.
- Create and record your resume video. One of the biggest benefits of TikTok resumes is that the potential for creativity is huge – so don’t hesitate to think outside the box when you’re planning your video resume. Make sure to tailor the video for a specific listing, so that you aren’t simply sending out overly general content that doesn’t really “fit” an employer. If you need some video resume inspiration, browse #TikTokResumes or #CareerTok. A few things to remember:
a. Don’t share personal contact information like your address in your video (employers will connect with you on the TikTok platform).
b. Add the hashtag #TikTokResumes to your video.
c. Be strategic in creating your video resume – more on that in our tips below!
- Submit your TikTok resume to a job listing, when available. On the TikTok Resume jobs page, you can access individual job listings. Each listing will give you an option to submit a link to your resume, along with basic details like your name, email address, and your Linkedin Profile (optional).
Tips for Making the Best TikTok Resume Videos
Anyone can make a TikTok video, which means that anyone can create a TikTok video resume. But if you want your video resume to help you get a competitive edge, being strategic is key.
- Film vertically. TikTok is figured to work best with vertical videos. In order to maximize the quality of your video resume, don’t forget to set up your phone in a vertical position for filming.
- Make a TikTok resume for each job you’re applying for. We mentioned this earlier, but it’s worth repeating. Just like traditional resumes, video resumes should be created for a specific job listing. That way, you can highlight relevant skills and experiences, emphasize certain qualifications, and even deemphasize any details if needed.
- Know the job description inside and out. The best way to present yourself as an ideal candidate is to understand exactly what the employer is looking for – which you can find directly in the job description. Use the information in the description to create your resume, giving clear examples of how you have the skills and experience necessary for the job’s responsibilities.
- Find a good balance between creativity and professionalism. In a video medium, you’ll have ample opportunities to express yourself and show what makes you unique. You can make use of features like text boxes, TikTok Green Screen, and even music to capture the viewer’s attention and get your message across. At the same time, remember that a resume should present you as a professional.
How Our Digital Production Program Can Help You Land Your Dream Job
At the Beonair Network of Media Schools in Miami, Chicago, Colorado, and Ohio, our newest program, Digital Media Production, is specifically designed to evolve as the world of media shifts.
You’ll spend time in the classroom, in real-world studio settings, and with talented, experienced instructors, strengthening your skillset. Not only will you learn how to create a video resume that is dynamic, engaging, and professional, but you’ll also graduate with a wide range of capabilities that will serve you in your future career, including:
- Social media strategy
- Content creation
- Using various digital mediums
- Editing and post-production
- Using industry equipment (cameras, mics, etc.)
- Script reading
- Understanding your audience
- Podcasting and streaming media
- Personal branding
- Interview skills
- Digital footprints
If you have a passion for digital media, then you’re probably already well aware of how quickly the industry moves and changes. From technology to culture, there are so many forces that propel digital media forward, making it an exciting industry to work in.
This makes it incredibly important that you never stay stagnant, especially if you’re searching for a digital media production job. It doesn’t matter if you’re hoping to work in social media marketing, video production, content creation, or any other field within digital media; your professional future depends on your ability to keep pace with the industry.
Learn How to Keep Up – and Stay a Step Ahead – in a Fast-Paced Digital World
The BeonAir Network of Media Schools in Miami, Chicago, Colorado, and Ohio have the courses and programs you need to distinguish yourself as a top-notch job candidate. Whether you’re making a career change or searching for your first job, our campuses can be the perfect place to get your start.
Learn how our Digital Production program can be a turning point in your career dreams; contact us for additional details and application information today!
Featured Image: Mykolastock/Shutterstock